Frequently Asked Questions about licensing the Crossed Grain Trademark

If you have a question regarding licensing your gluten free products, you may find the answer amongst these frequently asked questions. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact [email protected] for more information.

How can I obtain a license to use the Crossed Grain Trademark on my products?

Our member societies license the symbol to manufacturers, distributors and retailers to use on their gluten free products and promotional material. For more information on where to obtain a license please contact [email protected]

Which products can use the Crossed Grain Trademark?

The trademark can only be licensed for multiple ingredient and/or processed products. Your products must meet a range of criteria to ensure that they are gluten free, both in terms of the ingredients and the production process. In our Standard for Gluten-Free Foods you can find a list on which products that are not permitted to bear the trademark.

How much is the license and how long am I licensed to use it?

Duration and costs of the license are determined individually by each of our member societies. The license fee will vary according to the turnover of the gluten free products listed in the license.

Contact your society

What are the benefits of using the Crossed Grain Trademark on my products?

In surveys of coeliac consumers, the Crossed Grain Trademark is seen as the most important means of communicating that a product is safe to eat. It is recognised globally as the symbol for gluten free food and therefore adds great visibility to your products.

See more benefits

Which products can't display the Crossed Grain Trademark?

The Crossed Grain Trademark can be licensed only for multiple ingredient and/or processed products or when there is a high risk of contamination. For example, fresh fruit and vegetables cannot be licensed as they are naturally gluten free; but fruit bars or buckwheat flour can be licensed as they have undergone a process which may hold a risk for gluten contamination. For a full list of products that are not permitted to display the Crossed Grain Trademark please see Appendix I of the AOECS Standard.

What does "gluten free" really mean?

The term gluten-free implies no gluten content, but in practice it is not possible to test for a zero level of gluten. Research has shown that people with coeliac disease are able to safely tolerate a very small amount of gluten. As a result, low levels of gluten are allowed in products that are labeled gluten-free. When you see the term gluten-free this means that the food contains no more than 20 parts per million (ppm) gluten and complies with the EU Regulation (EU) 828/2014 for the labeling of gluten-free foods.

How can I get my products tested for gluten?

An accredited laboratory must be used to provide test certificates as part of the license application. To find an accredited laboratory in Europe please visit the website of the European Accreditation organisation or contact your national coeliac society.

How can I find a distributor for my gluten free products?

There is an increasing number of international gluten free trade shows being held all over Europe for networking with distributors and purchasers. Some examples:

How can I get my gluten-free products listed in food and drink directories?

As a licence holder AOECS publish the products on this website. Many of our Member societies also publish such directories. In order to find out what their requirements are, please contact them directly. You can find the contact information to your national coeliac society here.

Licensed Products

Can I use oats in my products?

Most people with coeliac disease can eat uncontaminated oats although a small number are sensitive. However, common oat products are often contaminated during the production process with wheat, barley or rye. Products which contain oats may still use the Crossed Grain symbol if the oats ingredients are pure uncontaminated oats and the product’s gluten content is below 20 mg/kg (ppm). The presence of oats will need to be indicated alongside the Crossed Grain Trademark on packaging.

How can AOECS help to promote my product?

As a not-for-profit organisation, AOECS does not undertake any commercial activities such as promoting products. However, many of our Member societies collaborate closely with gluten-free producers in their countries. In order to find out what their requirements are, please contact them directly.

What is the AOECS Gluten-Free Addendum food audit program?

The AOECS Gluten-Free Addendum Audit Program is an Audit Protocol. It allows you to make a bolt-on gluten-free audit at the same time as making a GFSI Benchmarked Food Safety Standard audit, such as a BRCGS or FSSC 22000 audit. For food business operators this option may save time, costs, and avoidance of unnecessary audit duplication. If you want more information on this, please contact your national coeliac society.

One of our manufacturers has registered its Trademark in the USA and they plan to sell their products in the USA market. What to do in this case?

Please kindly advise this manufacturer to get in touch with Coeliac UK to apply for a Global Licence run by Coeliac UK. That may incur in additional costs.

Contact Coeliac UK

We are a producer which manufacture our own gluten free products (under our own brand) but we manufacture gluten free products for private label too. Can we apply for a CGT for all products that I manufacture?

No. You only can apply for a CGT licence for your own brand gluten free products. To do so, you must contact with the National Coeliac Society in which your brand headquarter is based.

Your clients (private label brand) must apply for their own licence by following the recommendation above.

Find your coeliac society

I have applied for a CGT licence. Can I start using the CGT on my products packaging?

No, you must wait until the process is completed. The National Coeliac Society of your country will give you all the information about deadlines.

Is it possible to licence quinoa? Or is quinoa like rice and they can't use the CGT?

If it is unprocessed quinoa, you should proceed like we do with unprocessed rice or maize, as it is a product free of gluten by nature.

On the other hand, if they are products made from quinoa (flour, quinoa flakes, etc) in that case, they could obtain a CGT licence.

If a company is producing gluten free foods for another company who use their own brand name, it is the producing company (manufacturer) who is the correct licence holder?

In this case, the licence holder will be the company under whose name or brand name the products are and/or are going to be marketed under.

Can any product be licenced with the CGT?

No. In the AOECS Standard 3.0, there is a list of food products which are not permitted to bear the Crossed Grain Trademark.

Download the AOECS Standard

Does AOECS have a list of proven gluten free manufacturers?

The AOECS doesn’t have this list. However, some National Coeliac Societies elaborate Food Lists/Food Directories of gluten free products (with or without a Crossed Grain Trademark licence) to help their associates know that those products are safe for them.